Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Turkey Face Cupcakes
Gobble, gobble - who's looking at you? These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Turkey Cupcakes are the sweetest Thanksgiving treat for your gatherings. In facet, there are so many fun things in this Thanksgiving Edible Art project that it’s hard to know where to start!
First, these chocolate cupcakes have pumpkin in them, which means you are sneaking a vegetable into their dessert and they won’t even notice it.
Second, both the cupcake recipe and the frosting recipes are easy enough that chefs of all ages can tackle them. The decoration is simple and it doesn’t take a pro to get the cupcakes to turn out like the picture.
Third, they are super tasty, which means they’ll be gobbled up in no time! Take these in a plastic container for teachers as a Thanksgiving "thank you" gift, or spread some cheer to your neighbors and deliver them door-to-door. You just can't go wrong with these sweet turkey-faced treats.
- Chocolate buttercream frosting (see recipe and directions below)
- Candy eyeballs
- Fruit-flavored breath mints
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with brown liners.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix until just combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop into muffin liners. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Directions for Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- Cream together the butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Gradually add cocoa powder. Add 2 tablespoons cream, add more if necessary. Add the vanilla. Beat for 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- To assemble cupcakes, add frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large, round tip. Swirl on top of cupcake. Add two eyes, stand an orange mint up for the beak, and slant a red mint for the gobbler. Add more mints to the top of the cupcake to look like feathers.