Packed full of walnuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips and honey, these Sugar Plums are a delicious way to welcome the holidays and get the kids involved in the kitchen. They will add sparkle and color to any dessert tray or table center piece.
- Sugar Plums
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup dried figs
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried dates
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar for rolling
- Colored sugar
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Red and green food coloring
- Food processor
- Food coloring
- To make Sugar Plums, combine walnuts, dried figs, dried apricots, dried dates, chocolate chips, honey, and spices in a food processor. Pulse a few times to chop nuts and fruit into small pieces.
- Process continuously for 30 seconds. Scrape edges of the bowl to make sure nothing is sticking.
- Continue processing for another 1-2 minutes, until the ingredients form a ball.
- Roll into bite-sized balls and roll each sugarplum in either the different colored sugars or in powdered sugar.
- To make colored sugar, divide granulated sugar between two bowls. Add 1-2 drops of red food coloring to sugar in one bowl and 1-2 drops of green food coloring to sugar in the other bowl. Stir well until all the sugar is colored.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.