Sugar Skull Sugar Cookies
Flowers, food, bright colors, music and sharing memories -- Dia de los Muertos is a lot more sweet than scary - and Sugar Skulls have been a part of the celebration for centuries. These Sugar Skull Sugar Cookies are a simplified version of the traditional sugar molds, making them much easier (and faster) to create and enjoy.
Kids will love making each cookie their own - and they can design each one differently using different types of colorful candies.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Skull cookie cutter
- Royal Icing – white and black
- Mini M&Ms
- Chocolate covered sunflower seeds
- Mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter until very light and creamy. Add sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and salt and beat until very well combined.
- Sift flour, baking soda and cream of tartar together and add in one step to above. Mix until dough forms. Do not overmix.
- Press dough about 1/2 inch thick onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes or overnight.
- Roll dough on evenly sugared kitchen towel 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes and place on parchment or lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Place in oven and bake until very pale and edges are very light golden, about 9 minutes.
- Prepare royal icing while cookies cool. Tint/color royal icing based on your cookie decoration and decorate with mini M&Ms, chocolate covered sunflower seeds, mini chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Watch our video on decorating cookies with royal icing for great tips, techniques and more.