Sugar Tie-Dyed T-Shirts
Here's a sweet twist to the traditional tie-dye t-shirts using sugar, a white t-shirt and some spray dye. The sugar is what creates the white sections of the shirt. You can use it to create a traditional tie-dye look or experiment with patterns, shapes or even words. You could even design your shirt based on holidays or special events. Let your imagination go wild!
FYI, this is definitely an outdoor activity as it will get messy.
- Begin by putting some cardboard inside a white t-shirt and cover your surface with newspaper.
- Wet a paper towel and dab it over the shirt to lightly dampen it.
- Sprinkle sugar over the shirt. You can choose a design like the shamrock below or you can just sprinkle in random spots for a random, dappled look.
- Spray dye over the shirt. Be careful not to blow the sugar off the t-shirt.
- Let the shirt dry completely and then rinse the sugar off in cold water. With SEI Tumble Dye, you then put the shirt in the dryer to heat set the color.