- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- Red, blue, green, yellow food coloring
- Baking cups
- Cream Cheese Frosting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside. Place 16 cupcake baking cups in a muffin tin and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix until very creamy. Add one egg yolk at a time waiting for previous added yolk to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and salt.
- Add 1/3 of dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape well and mix briefly.
- Add half of room temperature buttermilk and mix until combined. Scrape well and mix briefly. Repeat with another 1/3 of flour and remaining buttermilk scraping well in between.
- Add remaining flour and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between six small bowls. Dye each bowl a color of the rainbow (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red).
- Evenly distribute each color batter in cups following the colors of rainbow. Use a spoon to gently spread each layer of color to edge of cup and fully cover the layer underneath.
- Fill paper cups 3/4 full. Do not overfill as this may cause poor rising.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 22-25 minutes. Some pans are smaller and others are larger so time may vary.
- Cool on a wire rack and remove baking cups to show off your rainbow colors.
- Top with cream cheese frosting or whipped cream to make a fluffy cloud on top of your rainbow cupcakes.
Serving Suggestion: Pair with gold foil wrapped chocolate coins to complete the Pot of Gold theme.