- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup kefir or buttermilk
- Green food coloring
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (or to taste) Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9” baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add butter and sugar. With paddle attachment on, beat on low speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add mint extract followed by eggs, one at a time.
- Gently fold in baking powder, baking soda and all-purpose flour alternately with the kefir/buttermilk.
- To make green swirls, pour a few drops of food color over cake batter and with a hand whisk, make a few swirls. Make sure you don’t blend the color in all batter.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and let cool completely at room temperature.
- To make chocolate ganache, in a small saucepan heat heavy cream until it reaches boiling point.
- Remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips. Let rest until chocolate chips just begin to melt. With a hand whisk start mixing gently until all chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and silky.
- Let rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before spreading over the cooled cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To make whipped cream frosting, refrigerate your grease free mixing bowl and wire whisk for 1 hour. For a quicker version, place them in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add heavy cream to cold bowl and whisk at lowest speed whisk until soft peaks form. Gently fold in powdered sugar. When all sugar is incorporated increase speed to medium and whisk until firm peaks form. Do not overheat or your frosting will curdle!
- Optional, store bought whipped topping can be used instead.
- Spread over the chocolate ganache and cut cake in 24 pieces.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Roxana Yawgel at a TrEATS Affair.