- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange (no white bitter pith)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts (baking section grocery store)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- Orange Marmalade
- 3-4 ounce best quality dark chocolate bar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven temperature to 350° F.
- Cream butter until smooth, add powdered sugar and cream further. Add egg yolk, vanilla, zest of lime and salt, mix until well combined but not light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and hazelnut pieces in a food processor and mix until hazelnuts are chopped finely.
- Add hazelnut flour mixture in one step to the above and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough flat on a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator until firm enough to roll. About 1 hour or leave overnight.
- This dough tends to become soft very quickly during rolling. Tip: place 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area where you will be rolling dough. This will keep dough longer cool and make it easier to work. Using the least amount of flour during rolling will give the most delectable result.
- Turn on oven. Sprinkle work surface with a small amount of flour and roll dough 4 stacked credit cards thick. Cut into 1 ½ inch diameter rounds and place on parchment or silicone baking mat lined or buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 12 minutes, baking time will depend on thickness of cookies.
- When cool flip half of cookies upside down. Spoon a generous teaspoon of orange marmalade onto cookies. Set aside.
- Chop chocolate in small even pieces and place in a microwave oven proof bowl. Place in microwave and heat in 7-8 second intervals. Stir in between. When chocolate is nearly 75% melted keep stirring to melt remaining amount without returning to microwave oven. Only return very briefly to microwave oven if chocolate absolutely does not melt.
- Drizzle chocolate onto marmalade and top with another cookie.