- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon for sprinkling
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla extract, scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture, mixing until completely combined. Stir in apple pie filling until evenly distributed. (You can do this by hand or with the stand mixer.)
- Using a large cookie scoop (about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough), drop rounded balls of dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Leaving space for spreading.
- Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown at edges. The cookies will not look fully cooked in the center, but they will finish cooking while cooling on cookie sheet.
- For icing: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle on top of cooled cookies.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon. Let icing set for 10 minutes, or until firm.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.