- Nonstick spray
- 3 envelopes gelatin (7 tsp)
- 2/3 cup room temperature water (1)
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup water (2)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Yellow and orange food color
- 1/2 cup
- Evenly spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine gelatin and water (1), fit with whip attachment and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and water (2) and cover with a lid. Boil for 3 minutes and remove lid. Attach a thermometer on side of pan and boil until syrup reaches 240°F. Do not stir syrup as this may cause it to crystallize.
- Remove from heat, engage mixer in medium speed and while whipping pour hot syrup in a slow and steady stream onto whipping gelatin. Once all combined engage mixer in high speed. Add salt.
- Whip until mixture feels no longer hot and looks like marshmallow fluff, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and stop mixer. Transfer one third of marshmallow into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Transfer one third of the mixture into a bowl and add orange food color. Before spreading onto the white marshmallow layer, ensure that the mixture has not cooled too much and is too stiff to spread. If it is, place the bowl into another bowl filled with hot water and stir marshmallow to soften. Spread onto white layer.
- Add yellow food color to the remaining marshmallow amount and make yellow. If needed reheat mixture before spreading onto orange layer.
- Allow to cool, preferably overnight while covered with plastic food wrap.
- Next day remove from pan and cut into desired size, toss generously into powdered sugar.
Caution. While working with hot syrups ensure that no children are around to distract you. Hot syrups can cause severe burns and working in a calm environment is essential.