- 2 standard 9-inch pie crusts, defrosted
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of add-ins: raisins, toasted chopped pecans, toasted chopped walnuts, currants (optional)
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- Place first half of pastry dough on a lightly floured work surface, and roll into 13-inch circle, working from center out. Lightly flour 4-inch round cutter and cut out 6 rounds. Carefully place each round into the well of an ungreased, 12-cup standard muffin pan, and press dough gently along bottom and sides. The round may not extend all the way up sides. Repeat with second pastry. Place pan in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until well combined. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well between each. Stir in lemon zest and vanilla extract. Place any add-ins in the bottom of each chilled tart shell, then divide the filling evenly between each. (For an easier time filling the tarts, transfer filling to a liquid measuring cup with a spout, then pour into tart shells.)
- Bake tarts for 15-20 minutes, until pastry is golden and filling is puffed, deeply golden, and set. Let cool completely. (The filling will fall and crackle as tarts cool.) To remove, run a butter knife around the edge of tarts, then gently lift out and transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
NOTE: You will have some leftover pastry scraps, which can be sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and baked separately.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Clarke @WellPlated.