- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Green onion, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together apple juice, soy sauce, light brown sugar, ketchup, bourbon, honey, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and red chili flakes. Add chicken and toss in sauce.
- Pour into a greased crock pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours (depending on your slow cooker) or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from sauce and roughly chop. Set aside. Whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. Set aside.
- Transfer sauce to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering and stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped chicken. Garnish with green onion and serve over rice and broccoli.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.