- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 1 pound Rome or Gala Apples
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 2 refrigerated pastry pie crusts (or favorite flaky recipe)
- Position two oven racks in lower third of oven and heat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and core apples, and cut into chunks. Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, kosher salt, nutmeg, and flour.
- In a small cup or bowl, lightly beat egg white with 1 teaspoon of water. Set aside.
- Spray pie pan with non-stick spray (or butter liberally). Set aside.
- Roll out refrigerated crust and place into prepared pie plate. Brush bottom and sides of dough with a light coating of egg-white wash.
- Toss apples with sugar mixture until well coated. Heap apples into pie plate, arranging as needed to fill pan. Dot apple filling with cold butter cubes.
- Roll out second pie crust and cut into strips. Weave into a lattice on top of apples, if desired, or leave whole and top pie entirely. If leaving whole, cut slits to allow pie to vent while baking. Trim edges with any remaining pie dough, as desired.
- Lightly brush top with cold water and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake until top and bottom crusts are golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 60 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Keep an eye on crust. If it begins to brown too early, cover with a pie guard or drape with aluminum foil and return to oven. Allow pie to cool before slicing to serve. Reheat before serving, if desired.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.