- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 2 oranges, no white bitter pith
- 3 cups finely grated red beets (about 3 large beets)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 packages (8 ounce each) cream cheese, soft
- 6 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients sift together flour, baking soda and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whip eggs until well blended, add vanilla and granulated sugar and whip for 5 minutes on high speed. Add orange zest and stop whipping.
- Stir in dry ingredients. Once blended add beets, nuts and cranberries. (Retain some cranberries for the surface decoration).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, prepare cream cheese frosting.
- Always mix cream cheese frosting on low speed to ensure a firm frosting. Mix soft cream cheese in a large bowl. Gradually add powdered sugar. When smooth add vanilla extract.
- Leave parchment paper on cake. Cut cake crosswise in half and flip upside down on a serving platter. Remove parchment paper.
- Spread half of cream cheese frosting onto cake. Flip other half onto frosted cake half-ensure that parchment paper is on top! Remove parchment paper.
- Either pipe remaining cream cheese on the surface or spread with a spatula. Decorate with dried cranberries or nuts.