- Vanilla ice cream and/or Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients combine sliced peaches, (if using frozen defrost first), blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Allow tapioca to hydrate for 40 minutes before placing in pie shell. This step is important as tapioca needs proper hydration before being baked. Omitting this step will make a pie that does not thicken properly.
- Fill in pie shell. Same size pie tins vary by amount they hold, if all filling does not fit transfer remainder to ramekins to make individual pies.
- On a well-floured surface roll remaining pie dough 3-4 credit cards thick.
- Cut into strips and place first strip onto center of pie. Place second strip crosswise over first. Place remaining strips starting from center strips in clockwise fashion onto pie.
- Place in oven lined with a sheet of aluminum foil for easy clean up; after 15 minutes reduce oven temperature to 340°F.
- Bake until thick visible bubbles have formed on pie, indicating that tapioca has properly thickened fruit juices, about 1 hour and 50 minutes. If surface of pie gets too dark, cover it loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil. Placing pie on bottom rack will also reduce surface color.
- Let cool, but serve warm with vanilla ice cream or dusted with powdered sugar, if desired.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- If using fresh peaches and they are not sweet and ripe, increase sugar to 1 cup and increase tapioca to 5 tablespoons.
- Blackberries or raspberries can be substituted for the blueberries.