- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, very cold
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, very cold
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 2 lemons (no white bitter pith)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 48 teaspoons of jam or marmalade of choice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Make cookie dough either by hand or in a food processor. By hand method: Place flour in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Using a box grater, grate butter on “large eyes” directly into flour bowl.
- Repeat with cream cheese. (Dipping cheese frequently into flour will make the process easier.)
- Add sugar, salt, lemon zest and vanilla and quickly press ingredients together to form dough. Visible remaining small pieces of butter and cream cheese are desired and will contribute to flakiness.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes or overnight in refrigerator. Go to step 7.
- Food processor method: Place flour in a food processor. Cut butter and cream cheese in tablespoon size chunks and add to flour. Add sugar, salt, lemon and vanilla extract. Pulse machine just until dough forms, do not overmix. Visible remaining small pieces of butter and cream cheese are desired and will contribute to flakiness. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces, keeping one chilled. Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface 3 credit cards thick.
- Using a round cutter approximately 2 1/2-inch wide cut circles and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Drop a teaspoon of jam onto a round. Grab bottom left and right side of circle and pinch together.
- Repeat with all rounds and place in oven. Bake until golden brown, about 11 minutes. Carefully remove to a wire rack to cool.