- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 30 soft caramel candies, unwrapped
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter cubes until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in both sugars and continue mixing on medium speed for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add in cocoa powder until evenly mixed.
- With mixer still on medium, add in eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and salt and mix for 1 minute until smooth, scraping sides of bowl to incorporate everything.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Flatten caramels using your fingers or a rolling pin.
- Scoop dough using a medium (2 tablespoon) cookie scoop and form a well in the middle of each cookie. Press a caramel into the indention and form dough around caramel, making sure no caramel is exposed. Place cookie dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until edges are set.
- Allow cookies to cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheet and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.
Notes: For best results, use soft caramels, such as Werther’s Soft Caramels. You can use Kraft Caramels, but they are harder and once the cookies cool, the caramel will harden. You can microwave the cookie for 10 seconds to soften the caramel up again.