Set out royal icing in piping bags and candies to decorate this sweet gingerbread village. Add gingerbread men and trees to create a full scene.
This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutters.
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Royal Icing
- candies for decorating
- Cream butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add molasses and vanilla and mix until completely combined.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture about 1/2 cup at a time, adding water in between. Mix until combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for one hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roll dough out on a floured board to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Use cutters to cut out shapes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then let cool completely on wire rack.
- Decorate with royal icing and candies.