- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 cup grated Gouda or cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 large eggs
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cut sweet potatoes in even chunks and boil in water until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar. Set aside.
- Prepare parsley, jalapeno (if using), and cheese.
- Line a 9X13-inch cake pan with parchment paper (or grease the pan) and set aside.
- When potatoes are tender, place in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Place in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients. Add water, oil, salt, and vinegar.
- Rapidly whisk in eggs followed by dry ingredients. Add parsley and jalapeno.
- Scrape into pan and top with the cheese (if using) and place in oven for nearly 20 minutes or until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger.