- 2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Zest of 2 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds or chopped hazelnuts or red fruit spread
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix soft butter until very light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and keep whipping.
- Add salt, almond extract, and lemon zest.
- Sift together cornstarch and flour and add to above in one single step. Mix until combined, but do not over mix.
- Roll dough into tablespoon amounts. If dough is too soft, place it briefly in the refrigerator.
- Place on cookie sheets and sprinkle with sliced almonds or chopped hazelnuts and red sugar sprinkles. Alternatively press a little hole in the center and fill it with red fruit spread.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 13-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.