- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar, plus 2 cups more for rolling
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar together on medium speed until smooth.
- Add in yolk, orange juice, zest, baking powder, and salt. Mix for 1 minute until combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Mixture might look a little curdled - this is ok.
- Turn mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until thick dough comes together. It might seem a little crumbly - but this is ok.
- Scoop out dough using a small cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons). Roll dough into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet 2-inches apart. The cookies won’t spread much.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then place remaining powdered sugar in a small bowl. Roll each warm cookie in powdered sugar and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.