- 3 cups apples, peeled and diced (about 3 large apples)
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Sugar Gold ‘N Natural Turbinado Sugar (optional)
- In a skillet, heat apples, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, lemon juice, and cornstarch until boiling, stirring frequently. Simmer for about 5 minutes until it thickens slightly. Let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Unfold puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Gently roll puff pastry into a 12x12-inch square. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, divide into 4 equal squares.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of apple mixture into corner of each pastry square. Fold pastry diagonally over apple filling and seal by using a fork to press edges together. Repeat until you have 8 turnovers. Place on a lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Mix together egg and water until well blended. Brush egg wash over all of pastry triangles.
- Sprinkle with turbinado if using. Bake for 18-22 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.