- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 24 ounces blackberries fresh, not frozen
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Dixie Crystals Sugar Gold ‘N Natural Turbinado Sugar, for sprinkling
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add cubed butter and mix on low until the butter is reduced to pea size.
- Mix egg yolk and milk in a small bowl and with mixer on low, slowly add to flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- Once well distributed and dough begins to form, remove from mixer and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead dough to form a circular disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and place into refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Line a heavy duty rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. A rimmed pan is important to contain any juices that escape the tart while baking.
- In a large bowl, toss blackberries with 1/2 cup of sugar. Add lemon zest, flour, and salt and continue tossing until combined.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. On a floured surface, roll dough into a large round circle, about 10-12 inches. Transfer circle to prepared baking sheet.
- Add fruit to center of dough circle, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold edges of dough inward, over edges of fruit to create a barrier. Top filling with chopped pecans.
- Brush edges of dough with egg wash and sprinkle both crust and filling with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until dough is completely golden brown and fruit is bubbly, about 45-55 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to a cooling rack to cool and allow filling to set.
- Once cooled, use a spatula to transfer tart to a serving plate. Serve with a scoop of ice cream, or a bit of fresh whipped cream.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Aimee Broussard @AimeeBroussard.com.