- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (50-60% cocoa)
- Chocolate ganache or sauce
- 3 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles or cocoa nibs, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or butter and flour loaf pan and set aside. Do not use baking spray.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a whip attachment, mix eggs until completely smooth. Add sugar and mix on high until mixture is mousse-like and has gained 50% in volume.
- Gradually while mixing on very low add oil and salt.
- Alternately add flour and orange juice in 5 steps, starting with and ending with flour. Scrape well in between. Add chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven. Pan should be filled maximum 3/4 full. If needed, extra filling can be baked into muffin cups after the large cake is baked.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan
- Once cake is nearly cool, prepare glaze or if made in advance slightly reheat it to make it smooth and fluid. Pour over cake and retain extra ganache when serving cake.
- If desired, sprinkle with cocoa nibs.
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.