- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6-7 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts/pecans, chopped
- 1/2 jar (4 oz) caramel topping
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare tart crust by combining flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add butter cubes and blend until crumbly. Add egg yolks and pulse until a dough begins to form. Remove and create a ball, and then flatten into a disk. Tightly wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare pie filling. In a large bowl gently toss apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, salt, and spices together. Set aside.
- Prepare crumb topping. In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, sugar, and salt. Add butter and using a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly. Fold in chopped nuts.
- Remove crust from refrigerator and turn out on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough, starting in center and rolling outward. Roll out dough to a 13-inch round and about 1/8-inch thick. Transfer to tart pan. Gently press crust into bottom and up sides of pan, cut overhang even with top of pan. Prick bottom of crust with a fork.
- Add apples to prepared crust and top with crumb topping.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until apples are tender. Remove tart from oven. Warm caramel sauce slightly and drizzle over warm tart. Allow tart to cool slightly before serving so that it will cut easier. Serve with a mini scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Aimee Broussard @AimeeBrossard.