Italian Cream Cake Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Mix pecans and coconut together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour and cornstarch. In three additions, gradually mix dry ingredients into butter/sugar mixture. If needed, use a wooden spoon or your hands to press mixture together.
- Scoop dough by tablespoon and roll into a ball with palms. Press dough into pecan and coconut mixture to coat whole ball (you may need to reshape dough into a ball).
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between each cookie. Create an indentation with thumb or spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely before filling.
- For frosting, use an electric mixer to beat together cream cheese and butter.
- Gradually mix in powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth. If needed, add a tablespoon or two of milk until frosting is desired consistency.
- Spoon or pipe frosting into center of each cookie.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ashton Swank @keatseats.