Coffee Flavored Danish Butter Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts or other nuts
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare a pastry bag with a small star tip. (Pastry bags work better than a plastic food storage bag as this dough is stiff and can easily rip a plastic bag.) Alternatively, a cookie press can also be used.
- Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or spread cookie sheets with a thin film of butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift flour. Stir in instant coffee and set aside.
- Mix butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix until well blended, but not until light and fluffy. Mixing to a light and fluffy consistency will make cookies expand too much in oven and marks of piping tip would completely dissolve.
- Add egg white, salt, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. It is intentional that instant coffee is not completely dissolved in batter.
- Fill pastry bag with half amount of dough to make piping easier. Pipe dough in zigzags on cookie sheets about 3/4 inch apart.
- Place in oven for about 11-12 minutes or until light golden on edges.
- Once cookies have completely cooled, melt chocolate wafers according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Dip cookies partially into melted chocolate and place on plastic food film or parchment lined work surface. Immediately sprinkle with nuts if using.
- Once chocolate has hardened place cookies in airtight bags.
NOTE: Select flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.