Cherry Limeade Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups lemon-lime soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 container (8 oz) whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together cake mix, lemon-lime soda, oil, egg whites, and lime zest until smooth. Pour into pan.
- Spread evenly into baking dish, bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- While cake cools, stir cherry gelatin into boiling water, whisking for 2 minutes to completely dissolve gelatin. Set aside.
- Using a wooden skewer, skinny straw or a large fork, poke holes into cake about every 1/2 inch. Carefully pour cherry gelatin over cake, allowing mixture to fill holes in cake.
- Cover cake with foil or saran wrap and store in refrigerator for 2 hours (or overnight).
- To make frosting, in a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth using a stand mixer or hand mixer. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping until well combined. Spread frosting over cooled cake. Top with maraschino cherries, lime wedges or lime zest as desired. Store in refrigerator, wrapped with foil or saran wrap, until ready to serve.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.