- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 package (4 oz) cream cheese, soft
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon gel red food color
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour and baking soda and set aside.
- Mix soft butter and cream cheese until no lumps remain.
- Add sugar, and once well combined, add egg, salt, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add flour mixture in one step and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces.
- With one piece, gently mix in 1/2 teaspoon food color and cocoa powder. (Food color strengths vary and it may be necessary to add a bit more.)
- Divide vanilla dough into 2 equal pieces and do same with red dough.
- Press each piece onto plastic food wrap about 1/4-inch in thickness.
- Place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Remove a vanilla piece of dough from fridge. With using as little as possible flour, roll dough between 2 sheets of plastic food wrap into a 6 X 12-inch rectangle. Set aside.
- Roll one piece of red dough between plastic food wrap in same dimensions.
- Transfer red dough onto vanilla dough. Leave red dough on plastic and flip it upside down onto vanilla dough. Remove plastic.
- Roll dough tightly into a log and place in freezer for 1 hour or overnight.
- Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 345°F. Cut frozen log into 1/4-inch intervals and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Allow to defrost for about 10 minutes.
- Place in oven and bake until very light golden, about 11-12 minutes.