- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very cold
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Apricot Filling and Coconut Meringue Topping
- 2/3 cup apricot fruit spread (fruit spread is less sweet than jam and is preferred)
- 3 large egg whites, no yolk traces
- 1 1/8 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (often found in specialty flour/diet section)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, and sugar. On small or large “eyes” of grater, grate cold butter directly into flour bowl.
- Rub mixture between hands until butter pieces are about 1/4 size of a pea.
- Whisk together yolks, milk, and vanilla and add to dry ingredients. Press ingredients together until dough forms. Do not overmix.
- Press dough flat on plastic food film and place in freezer for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Set aside a mini muffin tin with 24 indentions. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough 1/8-inch thick or slightly thinner. Cut into circles using a round cutter with a diameter of approximately 2 3/4 inches. Place each circle of dough into place. Making a cup. Make 24 cups. Previously rolled dough can be chilled and rolled again.
- Fill each indention with a small tablespoon apricot fruit spread. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whip egg whites to froth. Gradually add sugar and whip to stiff meringue. Add vanilla and salt. Stop whipping and add shredded coconut. Gently fold using a spatula.
- Fit coconut meringue into a piping bag fitted with a large plain pastry tube. Pipe meringue mounds into cups. Meringue will not expand in oven, use photo as a guide on how much to fill in each.
- Bake until golden/light brown, about 23-26 minutes.
- Remove from pan once cool enough to handle.