Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (can be non-virgin olive or avocado oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon red food color gel
- 1 tablespoon white or light-colored vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together oil and egg. Add sugar and salt and whisk rapidly smooth. Add buttermilk, food color, and vinegar.
- Add flour mixture all at once and using a whisk, mix until just combined
- Either use a piping bag fitted with a medium sized plain tip or using a spoon, drop/pipe 2 tablespoon amounts onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool.
- For cream cheese frosting combine butter and cream cheese and on low-speed mix until completely blended.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix on low speed until smooth.
- Pipe or spoon frosting on one Whoopie Pie half and sandwich with another.