Perfect Sandwich Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 tablespoons finely crushed freeze-dried fruit (optional), strawberries were used here
- 1 tablespoon milk or half and half
- Food color of choice (optional)
- Turn oven to 350°F. Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Set aside 2-3 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Mix soft butter until no lumps remain.
- Add sugar and once well combined add egg, salt, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Alternately add flour and milk, starting with and ending with flour. Do not mix more than necessary.
- Either scoop dough in tablespoon amounts and place 1-inch spaced on cookie sheets or use a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip and pipe tablespoon mounds on sheets.
- Place in oven until edges of cookies are barely golden, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare buttercream. Mix soft butter, powdered sugar, and salt until light and fluffy.
- Add salt and freeze dried fruit if using. Add milk.
- If buttercream is too firm heat cream with a blow dryer while mixing.
- Pipe buttercream on half of the cookies and top with remaining half.