Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 51-55% cocoa) higher cocoa amounts will make a less sweet brownie
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups pecan pieces (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 335°F. Line bottom and sides of a deep 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. (A touch of oil will help it to stick to pan.) Set aside.
- For cream cheese layer, combine cream cheese and sugar until well combined and totally lump free. Add egg and combine until smooth. Add vanilla. Add flour and once combined set aside.
- For brownie layer, sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Cut butter in pieces and place in bowl with chocolate and salt. Place over a pan filled with low simmering water and stir until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs until completely smooth. Add sugar and vanilla and whisk for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Add sifted dry ingredients and combine well. Add pecans.
- Pour slightly more than half of brownie mixture into pan. Cover with cheese mixture and even out smoothly.
- Drizzle/drop remaining brownie mixture in irregular pattern over cheese mixture. If desired, minimally (excessive will turn into a messy unattractive look) swirl batter using point of a knife.
- Bake until center of brownies has set and no longer trembles, about 45-48 minutes.
- Once cooled cut in desired pieces.