3 Tier Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cardamom (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 7 large eggs
- 5 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 6 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- One 12-inch cake board or serving platter
- One 8-inch cake board
- One 6-inch cake board
- 12 plastic drinking straws
- 1 batch caramel sauce
- 8 candied orange peel slices
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup star anise
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch, 8 inch, and 6-inch cake pan. It is highly recommended to line each pan with a round disk of parchment paper to ensure flawless removal.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix oil and eggs until completely combined and no egg strings remain. Add sugar and pumpkin puree. Once smooth, add water and scrape bowl.
- Add dry sifted ingredients in one step and mix on low speed until combined. Do not over mix. Scrape bowl well.
- Divide mixture into pans ensuring equal height of batter in each pan.
- Place in oven and bake 6-inch and 8-inch cakes for 35-40 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger. Bake 10-inch cake for about 45 minutes. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing cakes from pans.
- Repeat entire above process.
- For frosting blend soft butter and powdered sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add one soft cream cheese package at a time and mix on very low speed only. Beating at high speed will result in a runny frosting.
- Once no lumps remain, scrape bowl well and add another cream cheese package. Repeat process and add vanilla extract.
- Once cakes have cooled completely, they may be frozen for later use or frosted immediately.
- Cakes will have lightly domed in center. For flawless construction, it is important to level surface and cut away domed part, using a serrated knife. Remove all parchment paper.
- Place 10-inch cake layer on a large serving tray or 12-inch cake board. Spread about 1/2 inch of frosting on surface of cake. Place remaining 10-inch cake layer on top.
- Frost sides and surface of cake lightly to ensure that cake layers are still visible.
- Stick a straw in center of 10-inch cake layer. Make a mark where straw came level with surface of cake. Pull out straw. Cut 6 straws the identical height of marked straw.
- Stick 6 straws into cake about 2 1/2 inches away from edge.
- Place 8-inch cake layer onto 8-inch cake board. If needed, trim cardboard to be equal with size of cake. Spread cake with 1/2-inch layer of frosting. Cover with remaining 8-inch cake layer.
- Frost sides and surface of cake and place it on 10-inch cake layer. Inserted straws will support 8-inch cake.
- Repeat with measuring and inserting straws into 8-inch cake layer to support 6-inch cake layer.
- Fill and frost 6-inch cake layer and place on top.
- Gently spoon cold caramel sauce into desired spots on cake and allow to drip down.
- Decorate with candied orange peels, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and almonds.
To prepare cake as shown in photo, it is made in 2 separate batches as batter will not all fit into mixing bowl at once. Therefore, you will need cake ingredients twice. Frosting ingredients, you need only once.