3D Ornament Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring
- Royal Icing
- Candy bows
- Mini chocolate covered candies
- Regular size chocolate covered candies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and extracts. Scrape bowl. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined. Divide dough in half. Add red food coloring to one half. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll out dough to 1/4” to 3/8” thick. Cut out circles 2 small round cookies for top and bottom. Cut out 2 red and 2 white cookies that are larger in diameter. Cut a circle into middle using a small round cutter. Carefully transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on the rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To assemble: Use a generous amount of icing on base. Add a larger cookies to top. Add more royal icing to top of that cookie to act as glue. Stack, alternating colors, until you have 4 cookies. Make a lid by attaching a candy bow or stacked chocolate covered candies. Fill with mini chocolate covered candies.
NOTE: We used Linzer cookie cutters, but you can use any round cutter in two to three different sizes. You need a smaller base for the bottom and the toppers. To add interest to the toppers, you can add another smaller round cookie to add height.