Nutella Cinnamon Roll Hearts
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature-72-75°F)
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour** or bread flour
- 4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 2 cups Nutella®
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon, Vietnamese/ Saigon preferred
- 4 cups or 1 lb box Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour buttermilk in to a bowl followed by eggs, vanilla, sugar and salt. Place flour on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on top of flour.
- Use a dough hook to mix dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough, allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount. When incorporated, stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place (top of refrigerator) and allow dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Prepare 2 large cookie sheets by either brushing liberally with butter or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- When dough has doubled in size remove from bowl. Press edges of dough towards center, keep folding to make dough firmer. Cover with plastic and rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut dough in 2 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece in a rectangle about 16 x 14-inches. Mix 1 cup Nutella® with 1 tablespoon cinnamon and quickly spread evenly onto rolled dough. (Do not pre-mix Nutella® mixture as it will firm too much making it harder to spread.)
- Starting from bottom edge, roll dough forward towards center of rectangle. Then roll dough from top edge and roll it towards center.
- Cut rolled dough crosswise in 3/4-inch slices. Place one at a time onto prepared pan while manipulating roll by shaping it into a heart shape.
- If desired you can place hearts separate on sheet or touching. Touching results in rolls that are more tender when finished baking. Cover with plastic food film. Repeat with other piece of dough.
- Place in a warm place until rolls have gained about 75% in volume, this will take nearly one hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place proofed buns in oven and bake until light golden brown, about 22-25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare glaze whisking powdered sugar, water and vanilla extract smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Remove rolls from oven and let sit cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Cover with glaze and serve. You can freeze rolls and reheat in microwave, which will make these very tender.
** If using all purpose flour it is necessary that on the nutrition facts label it states that the flour contains 4% protein. Lesser protein (3%), will be very difficult to obtain an elastic dough while kneading.