Acai Pudding Cakes
Acai Pudding Cakes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, very soft
- 2-3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup defrosted acai puree, non-sweetened, sold in freezer section*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs separated (no yolk traces in egg whites)
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup acai juice, non-sweetened, very hot
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 2 mandarin oranges
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread soft butter into 4-5 ramekins. Sprinkle evenly with 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar. Place ramekins in a roasting pan and set aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, acai puree, lemon juice, and sugar. Whisk in salt and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites to medium peaks. Fold gently into above mixture.
- Fill ramekins 7/8 full.
- Pour water in roasting pan until it reaches halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Place in oven and bake approximately 45 minutes. Cakes will have well risen, and edges will be golden to light brown. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile prepare the acai sauce.
- Place sugar and water in a small saucepan. If sugar crystals are sticking to sides of pan, wash them down by dipping a pastry brush in water. Any extra water added has no effect on outcome of sauce.
- Cook on high heat setting but if using gas, the flames cannot hit/heat sides of pan.
- Without stirring heat mixture until color becomes light golden. Pour preheated acai juice into light golden caramel. Be careful as mixture may splatter or steam is hot.
- Turn off heat and whisk until no sugar syrup lumps remain.
- Add a small squeeze of lemon juice and set aside.
- Let sit for 3-4 minutes and turn ramekins upside down onto plates.
- Surround with acai sauce and mandarin orange segments.
Dixie Crystals Insight
*Do not use acai beverage or drink type juice.