Alamo Lemon Jelly Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Lemon Jelly Filling
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 3 small or 2 large layer cake pans; set aside.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt, sift three times.
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar and continue to cream.
- Beat in egg yolks. Add flour alternately with milk, to which lemon extract has been added.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold in to batter.
- Pour in cake pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pans while making filling.
- Mix all ingredients for the Lemon Jelly thoroughly.
- Cook over low flame until mixture is clear and has a jelly consistency. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Spread Lemon Jelly between layers and on top of cake.
This recipe was originally published in the 1940 edition of Aunt Cora's Vintage Cookbook.