Always Creamy Fudge
- 5 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups very best quality chocolate chips (63% cacao) or 18 ounces best quality chocolate (63% cacao)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 3 tablespoons water
- Spread a thin layer of oil into an 8 inch x 8 inch pan. Press a sheet of plastic food wrap tightly onto oil and pressing well into corners, set aside.
- If using chocolate bar, chop chocolate into pea size pieces and set aside in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan bring sugar and water to a full boil. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour onto chopped chocolate, add butter and gently stir until no chocolate lumps remain. Add vanilla extract and nuts and stir to combine.
- Scrape mixture into the prepared pan and place in a refrigerator. Let sit for 2 hours.
- Lift out fudge by pulling on plastic. Cut into squares. Keep refrigerated.
NOTES: Best quality chocolate will always give excellent results in candy and fudge making. Less expensive chocolate will not give a desired smooth result. For this fudge, choose chocolate containing near 63% cocoamass. Higher numbers will make the fudge deeper in chocolate flavor and less sweet while lower cocoamass numbers will make the fudge sweeter and therefore to some connoisseurs less refined.
Best Fudge I remember growing up on. Mom made it from Thanksgiving through Christmas & shipped it off for gifts, made it for Holiday Parties that time of year, made it on all three of us girls Birthdays. Did we get a B-Day Cake? OF COURSE - OUR FAVORITE, EVERY YEAR 'TIL WE LEFT HOME. And we ALWAYS came HOME for the delicious FUDGE. YUM!!! YUM!!! MOM'S now 88 yrs. young & I've taken over the kitchen and we're still skinny mini's. WE JUST LICK THE BEATERS!!!! HA! HA!! CLARE
This fudge is so creamy! One piece will never be enough.