- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 4 large egg whites, no yolk traces
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Chill work surface area where you will be rolling dough by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area.
- Set aside an 8- or 9-inch tart or pie pan
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears and prick bottom and sides of crust.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 13-15 minutes or until golden light brown. If bubbles develop during baking, prick dough with a fork. Keep oven on.
- In a saucepan rapidly whisk together ginger beer, brown sugar, salt, egg yolks, and flour. Bring to a boil while whisking. Once cream starts to thicken, it is important to whisk well to prevent scorching.
- Remove from heat when bubbling and thickened. Add butter and stir until melted and incorporated.
- Pour into pie crust and place into a refrigerator uncovered until completely set, approximately 3-4 hours.
- Just before serving, in a medium bowl, combine egg whites and sugar and whip over a saucepan filled with low simmering water. (Water cannot touch the egg whites bowl.)
- Whip meringue until it reaches 140°F. Remove from heat and whip until cold and stiff peaks have formed.
- Spread over entire surface of pie so that it is touching the crust. Place in oven for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Dixie Crystals Insight
This recipe first appeared in the Imperial Sugar 1930 edition of A Bag Full of Recipes cookbook.