Americana Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze
- Americana Apple Cake
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 3 cups tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Caramel Glaze
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- Blend oil with both sugars until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda and stir into egg mixture. Add vanilla. Stir until well blended. Add raisins and walnuts.
- Toss apples with lemon juice and add to batter. Stir until incorporated. The batter will be very thick.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack.
- To make the caramel glaze, add butter, both sugar, and cream to a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. When at a rolling boil, continue to cook for 1 minute, not stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool until glaze thickens to desired consistency. Spoon over warm cake.
- Let cake cool completely before serving.
This recipe was originally published in the 1991 Homemade Good News Cookbook Vol. XI.