- 2 packages (1/4 oz each) instant dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups warm buttermilk
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold, salted butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix yeast in warm water, and allow it to stand for 5 minutes until dissolved. Stir in warm buttermilk, stir, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 5 cups of flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using a wooden spoon, stir in yeast mixture.
- Sprinkle work surface lightly with flour. Transfer dough to floured surface and knead lightly. Add more flour, if necessary. Dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll dough out to 1-inch thickness; cut with a 3-inch round biscuit cutter or cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels, and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F while biscuit dough is rising.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Immediately brush with melted butter.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.