- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked or shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup, such as Lyle’s
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Flaky sea salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, flour, oats, and coconut. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter with golden syrup over low heat. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, boil 2 tablespoons of water and then stir in baking soda. Remove pan from heat and add to butter/syrup mixture. Stir gently. It will foam slightly. Pour combined liquids into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Portion dough at least 2 inches apart using a #40 cookie scoop or about 1.5 tablespoons. Press tops lightly to flatten. Sprinkle each dough ball with a bit of flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes until golden. Let sit on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies will be soft out of oven and crisp up as they cool.
- Traditionally stored in tins, these may also be kept in a cookie jar.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: Golden syrup is a must for authentic Anzac biscuits. It is carried in some specialty grocery stores and easily found online.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.