Apple Butter Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar or Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups apple butter
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Homemade Caramel Sauce (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three 9-inch cake pans. It is highly recommended to line bottom of pans with a round disk of parchment paper to ensure flawless removal.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mix oil and eggs until completely combined and no egg strings remain. Add sugars, salt, and vanilla. Once smooth, add apple butter and scrape bowl.
- Add dry sifted ingredients in one step and mix until combined. Do not over mix. Scrape bowl well.
- Equally divide mixture into pans (13 ounces or 400 grams in each) ensuring equal height of batter in each pan.
- Place in oven and bake for about 28-31 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning cakes onto plastic food film lined counter.
- Once cakes have cooled completely, they may be frozen for later use or frosted immediately.
- Prepare frosting. Place a cake layer on a serving tray and remove parchment paper.
- Fit cream cheese frosting in a piping bag fitted with a pipping tip with 1/3-inch diameter. Pipe teardrop shapes on cake surface.
- Top with second cake layer and repeat with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer and finish surface of cake.
- If desired serve with caramel sauce.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments