Apple Butter Pillow Cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 352 grams (2 3/4 cups) all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup apple butter
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream softened cream cheese, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour and cinnamon just until combined.
- Divide dough into thirds, and press each third into a flat disc.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap or in a large zip-top bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- When dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 375° F.
- Dust your countertop or a silicone mat with flour.
- Roll one disc of dough out to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut using 2-inch round (or apple) cookie cutters.
- Arrange 12 dough cut-outs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon of apple butter in center of each dough circle.
- Cut an X in center of 12 more rounds of cookie dough.
- Place one dough round on top of an apple butter topped dough round.
- Pinch edges together and crimp with a fork.
- Bake one tray of cookies for 9-12 minutes until edges turn golden brown and tops no longer look wet.
- While that pan of cookies are baking, make another batch of apple butter pillow cookies.
- Allow baked cookies to cool completely on baking sheets.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Refrigerate or freeze cookies to keep longer.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.