Apple Cranberry Pie
- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 apples (3 Granny Smith + 3 Golden delicious)
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Crumble topping
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9 inch pie crust and place on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Peel apples one at a time, quarter apples and cut each quarter in 5-6 slices, cut each slice in half crosswise. Place in above mixture to prevent browning. Once all apples are incorporated add cranberries and flour.
- Place filling in piecrust. Melt butter and pour over filling.
- Prepare streusel – crumble by combining flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate the very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture.
- Rub between your hands to turn streusel into small lumps and it becomes crumbles.
- Sprinkle crumble topping over apples and place in oven. Bake until filling makes thick bubbles (like honey) about 90 minutes. If pie gets too dark cover with aluminum foil.
- If desired cut leaves using pie dough and place on a cookie sheet. Using a paring knife cut veins. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place in oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Place on baked pie.