Apple Custard Tart
- 1 stick unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 5-6 large Granny Smith apples
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crisp pie crust, mix butter and powdered sugar, using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly, flat onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Set aside an 8 or 9-inch tart ring or tart pan.
- Roll dough onto a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Sprinkle lightly with flour and roll dough into circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into pan and remove excess, pressing dough into any cracks or tears. Set pan aside.
- Peel, core and quarter apples. Cut each quarter lengthwise in 3 equal slices. Cut crosswise to obtain thin slices. Use half of apple slices to line bottom of tart pan and press evenly flat.
- Melt butter and whisk vigorously together with sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour nearly all of mixture onto apples, retaining a few tablespoons for topping.
- Arrange remaining apple slices in an overlapping pattern on top of custard until complete. Spoon reserved custard filling on top of apple layer.
- Place in oven and bake for approximately 55 minutes.
- When tart has cooled, heat apricot preserves with a tablespoon of water until nearly boiling. Use a pastry brush to cover entire surface of tart.
- Sprinkle edges with powdered sugar. Any powdered sugar that hits apples will melt leaving only edges neatly decorated.
Dixie Crystals Insight
To serve the next day, keep refrigerated.