- 6 apples, peeled and cored, diced
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For apple filling, to a saucepan add diced apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved and apples are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- For empanada dough, in a food processor add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pulse to combine. Add shortening and pulse to combine.
- Slowly add milk, process until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead until smooth. Cover; let rest 30 minutes in refrigerator before using.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out chilled dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a drinking glass, cut out round disc shapes for empanadas.
- Spoon apple filling in center of each empanada disc.
- Fold, seal with a fork along the edge and then place on a baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.