Apple Pie Pop Tarts
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- If making homemade pie crust, prepare Pure Butter Pie Crust. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add apples, butter, cornstarch, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine and then slowly stir in water.
- Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. About 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Set aside.
- Roll out pie crust to 1/8-inch thick. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut 3-inch by 4-inch rectangles. Reroll pie dough and cut as many rectangles as you can, ending up with 24 pie dough rectangles.
- Place 6 pastry rectangles on each cookie sheet. Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling onto each pastry rectangle, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges.
- Wet your finger with a little water and run it around the bare edges of dough. Add a top layer of pie dough and press edges with a fork to seal them.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Drizzle on top of cooled pop tarts. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: If in a time crunch, ready-made refrigerated pie crust can be substituted for homemade.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.