Apple Pie Trifle
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced (any crisp apple variety will work)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
Cream Cheese Layer
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add sliced apples, brown sugar, and ground cinnamon.
- Sauté apples for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until apples are warmed through and butter and brown sugar have come together to create a nice, golden, caramel-like sauce. Remove from heat and let apple mixture cool completely.
- Add graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and pinch of salt to a small bowl. Mix just until combined and then spread graham crackers on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake graham cracker crumbs for 8-10 minutes in preheated oven until golden and edges are just starting to brown. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, 1 cup granulated sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream.
- In a medium-sized glass bowl or glass jar, assemble the trifle. Start with 1/2 cup of graham crackers. Spread evenly on base of jar or bowl. Then spread 1/3 of cream cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 of sautéed apples and caramel sauce. Repeat until you have 3 or 4 layers. Finish with a dollop of whipped cream (if desired) and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. Serve chilled or slightly colder than room temperature.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.