Apple Praline Pie
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup nut pieces
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Using half of pie crust dough, line a 9-inch pie pan. Place remaining dough in refrigerator. Place pie shell on an aluminum foil lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Peel and quarter apples and cut each quarter crosswise in 6-8 slices. Toss in sugar mixture to prevent browning of apples. Add vanilla and 1/2 cup nut pieces.
- Arrange apple filling in pie crust. Melt butter and pour over apple filling.
- Roll remaining dough 1/8-inch thick. Using a paring knife, cut leaves out of dough. Alternatively, use your favorite cookie cutter.
- Using back of knife blade, emboss the leaves with veins. Place randomly on apples until nearly completely covered.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Keep in oven for about one hour and 10 minutes or until apple filling makes thick bubbles (consistency of honey) which are visibly showing on top of pie. If pie gets too dark during baking cover loosely with aluminum foil. Remove from oven.
- For caramel pecan topping, in a saucepan combine whipping cream, brown sugar, salt, and butter and bring to a boil. Keep stirring for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and 3/4 cup nut pieces. Drizzle onto pie.